Logo letter

National Identity Cards in France


Many people actually ask regarding what's a national identity card and where one can request for it. The national identity card in fact is considered as an official document that was issued by the French Administration through the embassy or consulate in case that you are living abroad. This actually helps in proving your identity and likewise your nationality. This likewise is a secure document which have personal information that helps to protect from fraud. The national ID card in fact is free and valid or good for 10 years.


Though you can actually travel at different countries with your ID card, it is in fact not a permit for travel. You can however use it for you to travel within EU and to some countries as well. You could do checks at the French Foreign Office.


For individuals who are still under the age of 18 and are traveling with their ID card without their parents or legal guardian, they should possess an authorization when they leave the country. The consulate will be the one to deliver the authorization.


During the application process, the applicant must come in person for them to collect their ID card with numériseur code-barres and needs to return the previous one because this belongs to the French State.


Children that are under 18 don't really need to come in person, but the parents or legal guardian has to bring their family book or documentation that will help prove the parental authority.


When you have failed to collect your ID card within 3 months of its scheduled date, it is going to be destroyed.


You need to be aware on the reminder regarding identity documents and visas that you should effectively check which documents are needed in entering and staying in your destination country. You will be able to find the information to which you need about it at the consulate or embassy of the relevant country inside France. There in fact are some countries that in fact requires passports to be valid for a number of months after your return.


Only the valid National Identity Card is needed in traveling within EU or the European Union.


It's in fact a good idea that you keep copies of these documents at home and get copies of the identity photos from imprimante de carte d'identité.


If ever your passport or national identity card was stolen or lost during your trip from abroad, you need to first make a statement at the local police station. Based on the statement given, the Consulate of France or Embassy is going to draw up an emergency passport or pass that will however depend on the case. You should be aware that fees will apply and formality will take time. Check out this website at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Card and know more about ID cards.